The best way to clear acne is to fight your breakouts with the right products. To be successful in controlling acne you may need to implement more aggressive products like creams and serums with ingredients like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Although these products are the key to success in clearing your skin, they can cause you to dry out.
Most acne sufferers think that drying their skin out is the best way to be aggressive in fighting acne. The reality is that dryness is not the answer to clearing skin, but rather a consequence from product use. Dryness is common in all people who are fighting acne, especially in the winter.
So, the real key to success in clearing your skin is to fight your breakouts and your dryness at the same time! You need to be doing this because dry skin actually aids in breakouts. When your skin is dry, you naturally produce more oil. This is because your skin is trying to make up for lost moisture. Excess oil is never good for acne sufferers.
If you are working on clearing your acne on your own, there are some simple things that you can do to keep moisture in your skin. (We suggest these habits to our clients as well.)
1. Make sure to drink a lot of water.
2. Shower in warm water, not hot!
3. Don’t over cleanse. Only wash your face in the morning and night. If you are working out, use toner to get rid of extra sweat and make sure to moisturize afterwards.
4. Make sure to always use moisturizer, even if your face does not feel dry.
Just like clearing acne, keeping moisturized is easiest and most successful when working with an Acne Specialist. Our clinic located in Salt Lake City will help you find the perfect balance of acne fighting ingredients and moisture. We will be with you every step of the way and make slight changes in your regimen to ensure the best progress and clearing outcome in your skin. Here’s a more detailed look at the steps we take to keep our client’s skin from drying out while fighting their acne.
1. We understand that some dryness will happen while using our products. These products are not sold over-the-counter so they will be stronger. While it is important to realize that there will be some dryness, we can help you manage the dryness while your skin is getting used to the products.
2. We will ease you into using the stronger products. You need to take your time and use lighter products before you start using the most aggressive creams and serums. We will ensure that you are taking baby steps so your skin doesn’t have severe reactions.
3. We will put you on a water-based hydrator right away. Our Moisture Gel is a great layer to add under your sunscreen in the morning and benzoyl peroxide at night. This is a moisturizer without oil that will not cause the benzoyl peroxide to stop doing its job.
4. We might suggest that you take a 1-3 day break from your routine if your skin is getting extremely dry. After your break, you will start right where you left off. Although a break may be helpful, too many breaks will stop you from clearing. If you have chronic dryness, we will change up your daily product routine and ensure you are not drying out while you are clearing up.
At Skintherapy Skincare and Acne Clinic of Salt Lake City, we are here to help you clear your skin in the best way possible. This includes keeping your skin from drying out. Please give us a call to schedule an appointment today!